Monday, August 3, 2009

What is your reward?

Whew… taking a break after a day of cleaning the house. I think it’s been a month since I dusted last. I think a lot while cleaning so I’m gonna talk outloud on my blog : )

We‘re almost ready for school to begin. I had a talk with the kids over lunch. I asked them what kind of rewards they would like for doing a good job on obedience, chores, and school work. Some things they wanted were, ice cream cone from the drugstore, lunch out, mini dog from Wal Mart, extra craft day, play date w/ friends, and a trip to thrift store. Some will be short term and other long term rewards.

What’s my reward satan asked? Yes, that pesky thing tries to get on my shoulder from time to time, so I plucked him off real quick and said, “Thank you Lord for the privilege to be at home with my children making a warm, clean, pleasant place for my hardworking hubby to return to. Thank you Lord for a hubby that works so hard to provide for us. Thank you for his health and stable job. “ That reward has no price tag attached.

So school is going to be great this year I can feel it in my bones. I chose My Father’s World Exploring Countries and Cultures this year. The teacher’s manual is so clear and easy to read. The author lives and loves the Charlotte Mason approach with a Christian worldview. I’m not a purist of any one homeschool philosophy, but I do like CM’s short, twaddle free lessons with lots of outdoor exploration. I love that we will be studying different countries and cultures using missionary stories!! We have been blessed to meet some people who are taking their education and their faith to China and India!

I’ve got a school supply list that we will shop for tomorrow Lord willing. OK… I reckon that is it. Wished I could talk myself into washing my car, but I need a shower and must put up some tomatoes. Tomorrow is another day for washing the car. Unless the Lord comes back : ) Are you ready?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday Davis, while doing his turn at the dishes, said, "Mom, we should get extra video game time for doing the dishes. Like do your chores all week, and at the end of the week, you get 1 hour extra time."

I said, "Well, what does MOM get when SHE does all her 'chores?' I don't get anything. You don't always get rewards for doing stuff we're SUPPOSED to do. We just do them for the Lord..."

Guess we had the same kind of telepathy going on here, girl!

If you want to borrow a great cultures/missionary book, I have the book "Missionary Stories and the Millers" on my shelf. Short stories about different missionaries in various countries, both recent and long ago. We loved reading it aloud through the years, but the boys are probably a little too big for it now...