Tuesday, June 30, 2009

On Teaching Math

Today I demonstrated subtraction for Cutie Pie using the number line to count up from the smallest number of the equation to the largest. E.g. 10 - 7 "Put your finger on 7, now on ten how many "hops" must you make to get to 10?"

"3"!

"Yes, that's right let's practice another one."

Five minutes later...

"Now let's do this color by number worksheet and see what it becomes. We have 5 frogs and 1 jumps away, how many are left?"

"I want an alligator."

"I don't know what the picture will turn out to be, we have to work all the problems and color the area using our color code bank. See if the answer is 1 we color it yellow, if it's 2 we color it blue. Now if we have 6 frogs and 2 jumps away, how many are left? Here use the number line."

"I told you I want alligators."

"I told you that I don't know what it will be. Most likely not an alligator, but lets work the problems, color the spaces and find out what it will be." Can you hear the exasperation in my voice??? Sweetness sure did so she helped me out.

"Mom, he wants you to count alligators instead of frogs."

"Oh, OK! I GET IT!"

DUH!

Ya just gotta love it when the light comes on!

No comments: