Friday, November 7, 2008

How is School Going?

School is going great!!! First things first is Bible! Let me ask any of you who may visit my blog are you having a hard time getting prayer and Bible time in? Then incorporate that into your homeschool first each day. If you get nothing else done in your day but Bible God will bless the rest of the day. Praying and reading God's Word with your children will bless your socks off!

For Bible we are using:
The BIBLE!
Character Building for Families by Lee Ann Rubsam
Hurlbut's Story of the Bible by Jesse Lyman Hurlburt
Growing Up Where Jesus Lived (A Beka Book)

We use different translations of the Bible including, KJV NIV and Amplified. The character book has been awesome mainly for ME! If I behave with good character, my kids will follow ; ) We have made positive steps towards contentment, but I am struggling with orderliness!!! The Bible story book is very thorough and not watered down, so I have to skip some parts for my age group. It was so amazing as I found this book at the library and loved it so much, but had to take it back as my 6 weeks were up. I planned to buy our own copy and while on vacation in WV I found a beautiful, like new copy at an antique store for $2!!!!!!!

Sweetness is reading Growing Up Where Jesus Lived. This is an awesome starter book into Hebrew customs and life when and where Jesus grew up. While praying about studying History I feel the Lord leading us to study about Hebrew culture. While doing a search for Biblical Holidays I found an awesome website http://heartofwisdom.com/need.html

Robin Sampson, homeschool mom of 20 years, has a plethora of exciting materials to teach your kids the Bible. After reading a free 70 page excerpt I ordered the Family Guide to Biblical Holidays. Now coincidentally we read a little about the Feast of Tabernacles in our Bible Story just yesterday. Coincidence? Confirmation? Nevertheless, I am excited about our new direction for studying History. (HIS STORY)

I also want to order Robin's book Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach. Our ideas on education seem to match closely. After reading an excerpt from her book, on the history of education, I am convinced that the Hebrew way of education is the best. The first thing the Hebrews did was submerge their children in God's Word. They even had some sort of plate they wrote scriptures upon then slathered it with honey and allowed the children to lick the honey. God's word is SWEET! The Hebrews used a lot of symbolism to help remember God's Wonderful Works!

So what about the rest of school?

Cutie Pie:
Scripture Memorization (Romans 15:4)
Books of the Bible Memorization
Explode the Code Book 1 and Starfall.com for phonics (he is sounding out words everywhere)
Funtastic Frogs for math
Song School of Latin
LOTS of outdoor time ; )

Sweetness:
Scripture Memorization (Romans 15:4)
Books of the Bible Memorization
Explode the Code Book 2 for phonics practice and spelling
Math It
Copywork Scripture for handwriting
LOTS of outdoor time : )

We also have some loose ends to tie up on our geometry lapbook and our Rock Study. We just got a new collection of 50 rocks and minerals and I WILL get the rest of that organized and ready to dive into and finish next week. We have only one more booklet to complete for the geometry unit.

Then I think the first Biblical Holiday we will dive into will be Hannukah!!! And of course there are Christmas preparations to tend . . . whew.... I best get off here and get to school!

For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope! Romans 15:4

No comments: