Monday, May 12, 2008

Ole Mother Buzzard

My Mother's Day began with Cutie Pie bringing me notes of a secret coded language from his stuffed animals. He had to read it to me as I did not understand penguin language.

Treasure Hunter and I joined efforts in cooking a pancake and bacon breakfast. Then I snuggled between my two blessings on the couch and opened a bird book. Birds have been a huge topic of interest here of late. We discovered that buzzard eggs are incubated up to 5 weeks, and it was high time we checked up on Mother Buzzard.

Treasure Hunter took the children along a different path to the old house containing the buzzard's nest and they were very surprised when they reached their destination. They heard the pitter patter on the top floor and they walked with careful anticipation up the steep staircase and was greeted with a "Hisssssss" from baby buzzard. There was only one, for the other egg was still in the nest. They did not hang out too long, but picked me a beautiful bouquet of purple iris and returned home to tell me of their adventure.

Then Sweetness drew an amazing picture of mama buzzard flying in the air with a bone in her mouth to feed the baby buzzard. She also remembered to draw the nest with the lonesome egg. Treasure Hunter could not be persuaded to bring that buzzard egg home like the goose egg he rescued from the lake several weeks ago.

So Happy Mother's Day all you sweet mama's! Having a nestful of children is God's most treasured gift. And Happy Mother's Day Mrs. Buzzard. Stay tuned as there is a bird's nest on the corner of our porch!

No comments: