Sunday, November 18, 2007

Seasonal Homeschool It's Thanksgiving

Oh, sigh... I'm suffering from writer's block. I use to enjoy blogging about the silly things my kids did or the adventurous nature walks we enjoyed. But here lately the words just won't come out...

It's a season. I'm determined that it is just a season. Seems we are going through a different time at Heartfelt. We're venturing out of our hidey hole and experiencing life amongst other homeschoolers. All these experiences have been positive, although God has used some circumstances to pierce through some bad character traits I possess : /

I am blessed to be a part of a new homeschool group. We are real small -- about 33 families from a small rural community. I have been a member of a larger group for about 4 years, but I never really felt at home there. Mainly because I was just not ready to participate and join in the all the fun. We were still in diapers and taking naps.

I really like the new form this Larger group has taken under new leadership... but it's just a bit too late...

So, I have come to terms that being involved in two groups is too much. If I am going to be a member, then I feel I should participate and I just don't have time to participate with two groups. I realized this when the sheet for the Christmas party was passed around at the Larger group's meeting and I realized that my kids knew nobody from this larger group, nor did I.

But a pivotol deciding point occured on Nov 5th, the FIRST Monday of the month. I pulled into Providence Bible Church ready to be greeter at the Larger group meeting. I was pleased that I was there so early, before anyone else. But then nobody showed up. Hmmm.... did they change the meeting place and I overlooked that email? There was discussion of needing to find a new place to meet...

So I drove to a different church, where I thought they could be meeting. I seen lights on in the building, but there was also a strange man walking in the *dark* parking lot, so I was too scared to get out of my car. Then I drove back to the original place, but still no one was there. OK! Now how rude are these people to change the meeting spot and not call me or post it on the email loop? (Did I mention God is working on some bad character traits of mine?)

Well, I drove my little red car straight to the President's house. Got out, walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. Nobody was home (PTL). Then in my last ditch effort to find everybody I went to the library...

I came home threw my purse down and logged in immediately to the HS yahoo website to try and find the message that alerted everyone of the new meeting place. And there before me was the notice that meetings were held on the SECOND Monday of the month. Good grief. My smaller group is the FIRST Monday every other month.

I laughed at myself and thanked God that the President was not home. Can you just see her answering the door? And me standing there? "Hi M, how are you?" Uhhh confused?

It is a very heart wrenching decision to discontinue my membership with the large group. I have become friend with one of the ladies there. My friend, Lori, who always made her way through the large crowd to come and say "Hello." Lori, who reads my blog and takes time to email me privately and encourage me to POST. Lori, whom inspires me to write when I read her blog and takes the fright out of raising boys.

Perhaps I will just have to drive 40 mins to her house once a week and let her teach Sweetness piano. But she'll have to promise to pen that GREAT DANE up!

Thank you Lord for the privilege to homeschool. For a husband who works so hard each day to provide for our family and is pleased to have me stay home and educate our children in a safe, loving environment. Thank God for an extended family that supports our decision to homeschool. Thank you Lord for a homeschooling neighbor that has children the same age as mine. Thank you for toooooo many support groups! And thank you for Lori for being a good example of how to make newcomers feel welcome in a group. And thank you God for patiently working on my character flaws. And I just had to edit this post as I forgot to Thank God for my cyber friend, Dawne, who truly has encouraged me in the Word!
In Jesus Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww shucks! Lady, you have encouraged ME much more than you know. :-)