Saturday, September 4, 2010

Visitation

Our first "official" volunteer visit to the nursing home went really well. We first met Mrs. Z who I will describe as a very dignified lady. She is crippled with arthritis, but has a very good mind. She told us about her family and we were so excited that we knew her family! She even remembers their birth months. Her eyesight is failing and welcomed us to read scripture to her. I asked if she'd like to hear a particular passage, and she said, "It is ALL good." So Sweetness began in Genesis 1. I asked Mrs. Z what did God do on day 7 and she said, "Rested." We prayed with her before leaving and said we'd be back, Lord willing for church service on Saturday.

Then we met with Mrs. E. She too was eager to meet us and asked us to take her to the activities room. There we read from the book of John and Mrs. E proclaimed she was born again! Sweetness sang Leaning on the Everlasting Arms! That child has a beautiful voice and is not the least bit shy! I asked Mrs. E if she was from Madison and she said, "No I'm from West Virginia!" You could imagine the wonderful good conversation that detail sparked.

We were on our way after this visit; looking forward to Saturday.

Saturday came quickly enough and although we camped out Friday night I set my cell phone alarm so we could get up early enough to attend the church service. Saturday mornings at the nursing home with our church is quite different than our Thursday visit. You take the initiative to go door to door asking residents if they'd like to go to church.

One precious lady was sitting in the hall. I had not seen her before. I asked if she'd like to come to church and she said, "No, honey I can't. I'm going home today. My sons are coming to pick me up if I can ever get ahold of them. See I have all my things packed, because they gave my room to somebody else."

Church service was delightful with good preaching and song. Our Pastor has an amazing voice that the hearing impaired residents appreciate! The children, my two and two other precious ones, sang a song. I was soooo surprised Cutie Pie sang with them! A number of residents joined in the songs! I was amazed at how many knew all the words when I had to look at the hymnal.

Lunchtime is next and we take some of the residents back to their rooms, while others stay in the dining room for lunch. It is always sooo hard to say goodbye. Mrs. Z was thankful to get back to her warm room. And the lady who was waiting for her sons to pick her up was still waiting in the hall. I talked with her a good bit and just can't understand why she's there. She appears to be in goood health. She can walk and doesn't look that old. She told me where she lived, told me her sons names... Sweetness sang for her and we were soon on our way with promises to return again soon.

Thursdays will be our visitation day. We will visit with Mrs. Z and Mrs. E, but also ask to visit with the dear ladies we remember from church. I began this visitation for Sweetness, and again, my daughter never ceases to lead me into the greatest blessings! For I am more thankful today for a home to clean, children to feed and a Savior that will return to set everything aright once more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've been as inconsistent blogging as I have! March, April...September! I just love reading about your little ones! Hope you're doing well!