Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Country Roads! Take me Home!

Once again we interrupt this regularly scheduled homeschool for a trip to WV! I couldn't help it! The cool fall air and the autumn hues were calling me home. I began rehearsing in my mind that 1/2 mile walk from my bus stop in the chilly air hunger pangs spurring me up the hill to the front door of our little white house. I would shuffle my books enabling a hand to grab hold of the door that once opened enveloped me in delicious aromas, and warm big arms. It was time to go get a hug from my mommy.

We had a delightful visit. Even my dad was feeling good and played me a few songs on his guitar. The nieces and nephews are growing quickly and looking me eyeball to eyeball! We took up half the dining room at Cracker Barrell!! Sweetness and I traded seats so that we could talk to everyone. The cousins had a blast at the hotel's indoor pool.

Church service at my old church was pretty much the same as 30 years ago with a few changes. My brother hosts a puppet ministry for the chidlren now and Sweetness and Cutie Pie enjoyed that immensely. I walked down to check on them and give them cough drops if needed (we've had a dreaded cough for months now). And happened upon them praying together. There stood my brother and his family in a circle grapsing the hands of all the little children in a time of prayer.

The children are always invited to share a song and praise with the congregation after Sunday School. Something I truly miss with the church we attend here in VA. The very same sister in the Lord that sang with me when I was a child, Linda, got up with her same bubbly self and reviewed their day's lesson. The puppets were trying to work a puzzle in the dark and the children tried to help, but nothing was accomplished until the Light came on! Then Linda proclaimed, "Come on Kids lets sing!" And they burst into "I Saw the Light! I Saw the Light! No more darkness, no more night!" I spoke to Linda afterwards (who mind you has not aged a bit! despite her son going to heaven at a very young age after an electrical accident). It was good to thank her for singing with me as a child, and now singing with my children.

It was hard to say goodbye. I think I was more homesick driving home than driving to WV. But feel more at peace now that I was able to have a few days with my WV family. Thank you Lord for a safe trip and thank you for my family.

No comments: