Tuesday, September 30, 2008

SURPRISES!

Let me write this before I burst! Yesterday was another amazing day of learning! It started with our Rock Study! We learned how minerals change into crystals and the largest crystal ever found was 42’ x 5’ It took nearly the entire length of our basement to measure out that crystal! Then we started forming our own crystals with gum drops!

Microscopic Crystal


Ta! Da! Small Crystal


Finger Licking Good Crystals


Not pictured is Cutie Pie who bit his tongue and forever hates gum drops and commenced to measuring Milo (his favorite beanie kitty) with the measuring tape and kitchen scales!

Then it was onto our geometry study. Did you know that three dimensional shapes have more than one face? A triangular prism has a triangle face and three rectangles! We made a little booklet describing the many faces of some 3 dimensional blocks! I can hardly wait to get those blocks out again today, but we only have two more activities : ( I’ve GOT to find more.

We are using Family Math for games to enhance our math skills! Praise the Lord for a game that both kids can play and everybody wins. We made a number chart of 1-20. Sweetness wrote down a number and then Cutie Pie had to guess that number. Sweetness would give clues of higher and lower until Cutie Pie won. He placed a disc over that number to eliminate it from the choices. It was a lot of FUN! We’ll play again today using more than or less than terminology. Cutie Pie and I will probably play our frog game of rolling the die, putting the number of frogs shown on the die into the balance bucket. The player who has the most frogs, thus tipping the scale wins! When selecting my frogs for the bucket I make different 4’s like 3 green and 1 blue etc…

OK! Now for the realllllyyyyyy exciting time we went for a nature walk, to “boring Rocky Creek” Oh how we all take God’s blessings for granted. Well along our way we seen a small centipede, a big earthworm, a bigger racer snake

Ain’t he cute all curled up in his leaf bed?



And the biggest of them all



Now I admit this one had me tiptoeing all the way home and every stick made me JUMP! I am trying to identify this snake and am currently communicating with VA Tech to find out!

Now if that was not exciting enough Sweetness discovered a substance from the creek that stuck to her Pony’s foot magnet. “Look mama, it is just like the metal shavings that stuck to the magnet in Mrs. Dietzel’s class!” She discovered a metallic mineral in the water! Which makes crystals in sedimentary rocks. That is my best educated guess and perhaps I will be proven wrong when we study sedimentary rocks. It is okay for mama to make mistakes! I'm learning alongside my kids! Homeschooling is my second chance at a better education ; )

We didn’t get around to reading about Squanto : ( But today is another day and I don’t have 7 quarts of pears to can, so I think we will read about Squanto, do a few booklets for our Colonial Lapbook, and Sweetness will finish reading her Migratory Birds book. Oh, and Cutie Pie will do a page in Explode the Code -- all by himself!

We will also obey orders from headquarters and go for a nature walk every day ! We must go bottle Treasure Hunter some of that metallic mineral.

I can hardly wait to see what surprises God has in store for us today…

Can you believe October is around the corner! Time Flies and my puter time is up! God Bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I changed my mind....I will not be moving in next door. lol