Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Revisited

Thanksgiving Blessings! We were so blessed with such an abundant table of food and God's love. The feast preparations began at noon on Thanksgiving Day. I am typing this entry and pondering how each Thanksgiving differs. As much as I would love to revisit 1978, I realize that I must be thankful for each Thanksgiving God blesses me with.

I have made a tradition of trying a new recipe each year for our Thanksgiving dinner. This year I finally succeeded in making something kid tested and dad approved. So along with the traditional mashed potatoes and gravy I made brocolli salad and apple grape salad for desert. We are striving to be more healthful in our food choices and trying to eliminate processed foods like sugar and flour and foods high in preservatives and low in nutrition.

While my new recipes were a hit, the main course of our meal was the best! A wild turkey boiled to perfection! Treasure Hunter's co-worker scored a turkey during the first week of hunting season. This turkey made my Thanksgiving day so delicious. Since I ate wild turkey years ago, store bought has never tasted the same.

One remarkable change I felt this year was my anxiety level. I have been asking God to help me with my anxieties. I am ashamed to say that cooking makes me anxious. Probably because I really don't enjoy cooking, therefore I am not very good at it : ( So God has been adding a cupful of joy to the bowl each time I stir up a meal for my family. What a difference it makes. While peeling potatoes I was talking to my mother on the phone. We were discussing gifts that God blesses people with. While I do believe in Spiritual gifts and God given talents, I also believe that there must be a sense of duty, hard work and diligence if one is to accomplish life's goals. I remember reading that every homeschooler should learn something new so they, and their children, can understand the hard work involved in learning a new task like to sewing, cooking and playing the piano. Whatsoever ye do do it with all your heart as unto the Lord!

After filling ourselves full we went for a nice long walk to the lake and enjoyed the rest of our 70 degree day. We have a mystery hole down there. We assumed a fox or coyote dug this hole in a furious attempt to catch his dinner. Treasure Hunter filled in the hole only to find it dug again the next day. Perhaps it is a critter's home? I imagine it would be appreciative if we left its humble abode alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wild turkey!? Did it put up a fight? :)
Can't say as I've ever had anything but a "tame" frozen turkey for Thanksgiving, but ours was particularly delicious this year, too. Went with a regular brand, a Butterball, and I totally enjoyed the turkey leg all to myself! :) Can't say I'm particularly crazy about turkey, but I LOVE it at Thanksgiving, maybe because of all the wonderful memories it conjours up! Love ya!
Lori :)